Master of Science in Respiratory Therapy
The University of Mary’s entry-level Master of Science in Respiratory Therapy program is designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree in a subject other than respiratory therapy, and are interested in becoming a highly sought-after, critical member of a health care team.
The Master of Science in Respiratory Therapy (MSRT) offers individuals with bachelor’s degrees in disciplines other than respiratory therapy the opportunity to complete the professional component of the respiratory therapy program for graduate credit and enter practice with advanced preparation. With the University of Mary’s Master of Science in Respiratory Therapy program, you will gain the knowledge and skills needed to provide therapies, develop care strategies, and offer education for patients suffering from respiratory and cardiac problems. The professional respiratory therapy program is located at CHI St. Alexius Health in Bismarck, North Dakota and is co-sponsored by the University of Mary and CHI St. Alexius Health. Graduates of the professional curriculum are eligible to sit for state licensing and national credentialing examinations offered by the National Board for Respiratory Care, leading to the Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential.
Take the First Step
Get in touch with any questions or submit the simple application for admission.
After acceptance to the university as a candidate for graduate studies, we will assist you every step of the way toward acceptance into your academic program so you can enroll and begin your classes!
At a Glance
- In-person in Bismarck, ND
Tuition per Credit
Is This the Degree For Me?
Who It’s For
- Individuals who want to enter the respiratory therapy field but do not hold a respiratory therapy degree of any type
- Medical and other professionals who want to make a career change
- Those who want to start their respiratory therapy career at an advanced level
- Respiratory Therapist
- Respiratory Department Manager
- Health Educator
- Case Manager
- Home Health Specialist
What You’ll Learn
The Respiratory Therapy master’s degree program at the University of Mary offers unique learning experiences and hands-on opportunities to learn within a supportive healthcare community. When you graduate, you will be prepared to demonstrate proficiency in:
- Knowledge of the physiological bases for therapeutic interventions and diagnostic procedures in all areas of respiratory therapy practice.
- Implementing all respiratory therapy treatment and diagnostic procedures.
- Interpreting physical exam findings, cardiopulmonary monitoring data, laboratory data, and diagnostic imaging information.
- Establishing an evidence base for best practice through research and the critique and interpretation of the professional scientific literature.
- Knowledge of the ethical obligations and responsibilities of healthcare professionals and institutions.
- Oral and written communication, including the preparation of a manuscript suitable for submission to a peer-reviewed scientific journal.
Your first step is to get in touch with any questions or submit the simple application for admission. After acceptance to the University as a candidate for graduate studies, we will assist you every step of the way toward acceptance into your academic program so you can enroll and begin your classes!
In-person in Bismarck, ND
If you are serving or have served our country, we sincerely thank you. Our military services office is here to work closely with active duty, retired, reserve, and eligible family members qualified for military benefits. Learn how we can help you with the application process and review the benefits you have earned.
- Tuition: $620 per credit
- Application fee: $45
- Technology fee: $43 per credit
- Parking and security fee: $150 per semester
For a full list of fees, visit our Tuition and Fees page.
The following will be needed when you have applied for admission so we can get you accepted into the graduate program. The application deadline for the fall cohort is February 15.
- Official transcripts showing a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- A 3.0 or higher GPA in the respiratory therapy program’s prerequisite pre-professional
courses in math, biology, chemistry, physics, pharmacology, ethics, English (communication),
and social sciences. A grade of “C” or higher is required in each of these respiratory
therapy prerequisite courses:
- General Inorganic Chemistry (two semesters)
- College Algebra
- Introduction to Physics
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (two semesters)
- When submitting your official transcripts:
You can request transcripts at most schools by going to the National Student Clearinghouse or by contacting the registrar’s office.
- Have your transcripts sent to:
Office of Admissions
University of Mary
7500 University Drive
Bismarck, ND 58504
- Or request send electronic transcripts to [email protected]
- Graduated from the University of Mary before? Then we’ll get your Mary transcript for you!
- Have your transcripts sent to:
- Application/enrollment fee - This will be collected at the time you fill out the online application.
- Two letters of reference from your undergraduate professors or academic counselors who are in a position to judge your written communication proficiency and ability to perform graduate-level work.