Certificate in Sacred Scripture
The University of Mary’s certificate in Sacred Scripture will provide you with deep knowledge of Scripture’s story of salvation history and its interpretation according to the Church’s historic tradition.
From apostolic times to today, the Church has cherished and venerated Sacred Scripture. Yet in our age of distraction, many lack knowledge of its content and ways of interpretation and application. In this certificate program, you will learn the story of salvation history that the Bible tells and how to interpret it in accord with the Church’s teaching as you discern its letter and its spirit by employing the historical significance. Moreover, you will be enriched in your own Scriptural prayer and devotion as well as in your abilities in communicating its glories and depths to others in evangelism and catechesis. This certificate can be combined with the certificates in Marriage and Family and Prayer and Spiritual Direction to complete the requirements of the MA in Applied Catholic Theology.
At a Glance
1 semester/9 credits
- Online with on-campus institute
Tuition per Credit
Is This the Program For Me?
Who It’s For
- Directors of Religious Education (DREs)
- Diocesan and Parish Personnel
- Volunteers involved in faith formation
- Individuals interested in the salvation story, history, and interpretation of Sacred Scripture.
- Theology and Religion Instructor
- Church Leader
- Missionary Work
- Director of Religious Education
What You’ll Learn
- How to understand and encounter God's word in the inspired Scriptures
- Online with on-campus institute
If you are serving or have served our country, we sincerely thank you. Our military services office is here to work closely with active duty, retired, reserve, and eligible family members qualified for military benefits. Learn how we can help you with the application process and review the benefits you have earned.
The Mystery of the Sacred Page
Address the philosophy and fundamental theology requisite for the proper and fruitful interpretation of Sacred Scripture with a view towards making true and faithful judgments regarding its content, as formed by the life and teaching authority of the Catholic Church.
The Mystery of Israel: The Old Testament
Interpret the story of the Old Testament according to its letter and Christian spirit, focusing on the various sections of the Scriptures of Israel, its reception and interpretation by Jesus and the Church, and the divine pedagogy that leads to mystagogy and the Scriptures’ fulfillment in Christ.
The Mystery of Jesus and the Church
Explore the Gospels, Acts, and the Pauline corpus in depth, as well as Hebrews, the Catholic Epistles, and Revelation, in order to illuminate and deepen comprehension of the content of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the teaching of His Church.
The following will be needed when you have applied for admission so we can get you accepted into the certificate program:
- Official transcripts
- Attended the University of Mary before? Then we’ll get your Mary transcript for you!
- At most other schools, you can request transcripts by going to the National Student Clearinghouse or by contacting the registrar’s office.
- Have your transcripts sent to:
Office of Admissions
University of Mary
7500 University Drive
Bismarck, ND 58504
- Or request to send electronic transcripts to [email protected]