MA in Applied Catholic Theology
The MA in Applied Catholic Theology provides a robust understanding of the fullness of the Catholic faith, uniting the Church's intellectual, liturgical, and apostolic dimensions into a coherent Catholic vision.
By completing the combined courses of our graduate certificates in Prayer and Spiritual Direction, Sacred Scripture, and Marriage and Family, students will experience a rigorous, coherent course of study providing the necessary intellectual, personal, and spiritual formation to communicate the Church’s magisterial teaching effectively to youth and adults alike in our contemporary age. This degree concludes with an integrative, practical capstone experience under the guidance of a dedicated, experienced faculty mentor.
Take the First Step
Get in touch with any questions or submit the simple application for admission.
After acceptance to the university as a candidate for graduate studies, we will assist you every step of the way toward acceptance into your academic program so you can enroll and begin your classes!
At a Glance
16 months / 32 credits
Online with on-campus institutes
Tuition per Credit
Is This the Degree For Me?
Who It’s For
- Directors of Religious Education (DREs)
- Diocesan and Parish Personnel
- Volunteers involved in faith formation
- Those looking for personal enrichment or exploring academic or ministerial doctoral programs.
- Church Leader
- Missionary Work
- Director of Religious Education
- Spiritual Director (with additional certification)
What You’ll Learn
- Engage the Church’s magisterial tradition on marriage, sex, and family.
- How to apply and proclaim the Church’s teaching to wounded persons and families in our contemporary world.
- Enrich your knowledge and skills as a spiritual director by deepening your own friendship and communion with the Triune God.
- Broaden your own Scriptural prayer and devotion as well as your ability to communicate its glories and depths to others in evangelism and catechesis.
- Online with on-campus institutes
The following are examples of courses that will be offered for this program. For more information regarding the full list of courses, please contact us.
Theology of the Body: Marriage and Family
Examine Pope St. John Paul II’s magisterial Theology of the Body in light of its context, origins, delivery, and reception. This course takes account of and counters alternative accounts of the human person and human goods emerging in late modernity and postmodernity which issued forth in the sexual revolution and pays special attention to the context and reception of magisterial documents such as Casti Connubii and Humanae Vitae as well as significant works by Pope St. John Paul II. It also considers the role of the Theology of the Body in evangelism and faith formation.
The Mystery of the Sacred Page
Address the philosophy and fundamental theology requisite for the proper and fruitful interpretation of Sacred Scripture with a view towards making true and faithful judgments regarding its content, as formed by the life and teaching authority of the Catholic Church.
Sanctity and Sanity: The Christian Spiritual Tradition
Explore the historical development, sweeping influence, and fruit of the Church’s spiritual and mystical tradition through the ages. Specific consideration in this course is given to the treasures of Benedictine monasticism, Carmelite spirituality, and Ignatian Discernment of Spirits. This tradition is then brought to bear upon some key obstacles to interiority presented by modern life.
The following will be needed when you have applied for admission so we can get you accepted into the graduate program:
- Official transcripts showing a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75.
- Graduated from the University of Mary? Then we’ll get your Mary transcript for you!
- At most other schools, you can request transcripts by going to the National Student Clearinghouse or by contacting the registrar’s office.
- Have your transcripts sent to:
Office of Admissions
University of Mary
7500 University Drive
Bismarck, ND 58504
- Or request to send electronic transcripts to [email protected]
- Application/enrollment fee - This will be collected at the time you fill out the online application.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Professional goal statement explaining your desire to enroll in the program